Monday, April 22, 2013

KAL -- Third Week


Part III of the Ridgely shawlette Knit Along has knitters working on the second side of the project. Here's the one that I'm knitting. You can see the lovely lace section (Part II) in the middle, the lace edging, and the start of side two of the shawlette.


Here's my shawl arranged on a jeans jacket. My plan is to use the shawlette as an oversize scarf to fill in the neckline of the jacket or arrange over my shoulders. I'm thinking that I'll wear a sleeveless top, maybe black, or else a black tank top to set off the gold and camel of the yarn colors.

KAL -- First week of knitting

Michelle Hunter, designer of the project, has named it "Ridgely," no doubt after the garter stitch ridges that form in the two color sections. This is a very doable and enjoyable project. If you have not started one during the April Knit Along, do consider knitting one. The CoBaSi yarn is fluid and drapes beautifully.

You will not find a lovely, funky accessory like this in the stores. And that, my friends, is why we knit. To make with our own hands great stuff that we like to wear.

One last idea. You could knit this shawlette in one color. This would eliminate using three balls of yarn and focus more on the lace aspect of the design. You would still learn how to use a chart for lace knitting, or you could use Michelle's row by row lace pattern directions.

I'm seriously thinking that my second Ridgely will be in the sea blue (Color 029) since when I look at my scarf drawer, there's very little blue looking back at me. Plus I have a lovely silver brooch with marcasites that I never wear. It would look good pinned to the oversize scarf. Cool.

Happy Knitting!

Wanda



3 comments:

  1. I'm liking this more and more, especially when I see it against the jean jacket. Hmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it is good to audition the colors and texture of the unfinished project against a jacket. FYI, I change out the buttons on jeans jackets and purchased sweaters, too. Sometimes all a sweater needs is a glitzier button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another button thing. I buy sets of buttons ahead of whatever I will use them for. When buttons are on sale, I buy 5-7 big buttons and 2 little ones for cuffs/pockets if I'm thinking jacket. For cardis, I just buy the big buttons. The button stash gets used, often!

    ReplyDelete